Saturday, September 29, 2007

Modest mouse

Another band from the "alternative rock" movement, the first song I came across was "float on". Brilliant song, which was a conscious attempt on the group's part to make upbeat music after the band lost a couple of friends
"Bad news comes dont you worry, even when it lands,
Good news will work its way to all them plans."
is a such a reassuring thing to tell yourself when you're having a bad time that one immediately takes to this song.

I believe that modest mouse are one of the smartest artists out there. They perform on themes as varied as Love, Death, God, Social causes etc, but most importantly whatever they say, they say it well.

You gotta hand it to them for coming up with lyrics like
"We were aiming at the moon, we were shooting at the stars,
But the kids were just shooting at the buses and the cars" ( Bury me with it).

and later in the same album

"Jaws clenched tight, we talked all night,
Oh! but what the hell did we say?
The good times are killin me"

To anyone who's not heard them before, "Good news for people who love bad news (2004)" would be a great album to start with. (Don't you just love ironic themes?)


I Came as a Rat

Well I ain't sure, but I been told
He's baking cakes inside our souls
Stayed awake, took a nap
Got myself my bottles back
I'm breakin' them out on the street
Walkin' around in my bare feet
I do not need you to tell me that I am not a cat

I caught a ride, we caught some air
He's never gonna cut his hair
It takes more time to make a fake
We night swam down in the lake
Washed the dirt off our intentions
Prattle on 'bout bad inventions

I came as ice, I came as a whore
I came as advice that came too short
I came as gold, I came as crap
I came clean and I came as a Rat
It takes a long time, but God dies too
But not before he'll stick it to you

Well I don't know, but I been told
You never die and you never grow old

Uh oh!

I came as a call, I came as flat
I came too soon so I came back
I came as flowers, I came as nice
I came as dirt and I came as its price
It takes a long time, but God dies too
But not before he'll stick it to you
I don't know, but I been told
You never die and you never grow old
Uh Oh!



1 comment:

vagabond dreamer said...

love music by modest mouse they sound different some how